Thursday, May 22, 2014

Three. (A little late)


III.








Archibald Ellen, 2E 61st St. New York City, NY was the address of my destination. Uncle Archibald. I had heard the name, but hadn't seen the man until the memorial service. He looked like an Archibald. He was 12 years my father's senior and although he shared with my father a slimness of figure, beyond that there was no resemblance. If I had to match his appearance to that of a bird, it would definitively have be a turkey vulture. And not only because he was bald and wore black turtlenecks. He had a loose head. That is, he could have fit at least two of his heads into the amount of skin that he had around his neck and scull. All this was further accented by his drooping nose and the horn-rimmed glasses he was always wearing.

I was sitting in the back seat of his Prius and we were just entering The City. As I peered out on the NYC afternoon, I saw for the first time the hustle and bustle that was to be home for me. Under normal circumstances I may have been somewhat shocked by the magnitude of it all, but I was quite used to abnormal circumstances by now, so this was pretty much a walk in the park, so to speak. We wove our way through the traffic in silence and--surprise, surprise--arrived at our destination in silence. He was, I think, preparing the speech I was to be the audience for upon our arrival at his flat. And what a destination it was! My parents had said he wrote books, but I hadn't thought doing that could have bought such a stupendous apartment. It was on the 17th floor and overlooked Central Park.

The door latched behind us and I stood in awe as Uncle Archibald began his speech, “First off, I want to begin by saying that I am not a nice sort of person, Liam. I did not claim you from the court after all these months because I feel an emotional attachment to you, but rather because I felt a extremely inconvenient sense of Scottish duty toward my brother's son. You may be wondering why you hadn't met me before--erm--you know, and I can give you two reasons. First, I really am quite busy with my job and when I am working, I like to be alone. Second, your parents and I had conflicting views on certain things that made our relationship somewhat strained.”

At this point he paused, adjusted his glasses, twitched his nose, and continued. “ Now for a rule: you are not to disturb me between the hours of seven in the morning and six in the evening. This means no noise. Do you understand?” A hasty nod from me followed, in the hopes that it was over, but unfortunately my hopes were unfounded, as he went on, “Aside from that you can do whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned. I have also arranged the details of your education. I hear you have quite the little brain in there so I am prepared at all costs to cultivate it. The Spring semester starts next month and you will attend a highly touted private preparatory school which runs through high school. We will be going there for a placement test and a tour next week. Follow me and we'll get settled in your room.” He then turned to pick up my luggage and, as he was in the midst of lifting my suitcase, he paused and said, “Oh, and one more thing. You are not, under any circumstances, to call me, 'Uncle Archie', if you wish to remain living under the present conditions. My name is Archibald.” It did not seem that he expected and answer, so I made note of it and waited for him to show me to my room.

He led me out of the central living area and into a short hallway. Uncle Archibald's flat was decorated in a way I hadn't ever been familiarized with. There lots of lines, splotches, and irregular shapes in the enormous canvases that were placed on his walls. Some of them, at times, faintly resembled human shapes. That they could serve any purpose other than to confuse one's mind to me seemed impossible. My child's opinion of them held more truth than I realized at the time, as the opinions of one's younger years often do.

There were three doors in hallway, one on the left and two on the right. I often thought it would have made more sense to have one on either side and then one at the end, but I guess that would have been too symmetrical for my uncle. Instead of a door at the end there was a three dimensional painting which made the hallway look as if it continued on endlessly. As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about that painting was that sometimes when Uncle was getting frustrated about this thing he called, “writer's block,” he would resort to Scotch Whiskey, get drunk, and almost invariably walk into the painting with a crash and a veritable torrent of words that I think it better not to repeat.

My room was more of the same. Complete randomness. Everything was made to look like it was upside down. The floor had lights in it and the ceiling was made of wood paneling. The only thing that looked normal was the bookshelf because you really can't go wrong with them. This may sound strange, but I became attached to that bookshelf. It was to me a beacon of normality; it was my Statue of Liberty, for within it's shelves it held the key to whole new worlds: worlds in which I could forget my world. Upon entering what was to be my room, I ran to the bookshelf and and placed Ferdinand and Winnie the Pooh next to the other books. My two books were dwarfed by the fifteen or so other books in the shelf in both size and width. Over the next few days, while I was waiting somewhat impatiently for the tour of my new school, I found that all the books were by written by the same author. Excited by this discovery, I asked Uncle Archibald about it towards the end of dinner. My not so confident, “Uncle Archibald?” broke a seemingly indomitable silence. An annoyed sigh escaped from his mouth and was followed by a disinterested, “What is it, Liam?”
I've been looking at the books in my bookshelf and—and I was wondering why they are all written by the same person.”
Hm, that's a good question. Well, its because they were all written by me.”
Oh, so you pretend you're a different person when you are writing?”
Yes, its called using a pen-name. I do it so people don't bother me.”

Now I knew why he was always writing—it seemed to me that if I were him I would want to pretend to be a different person, too. Thankfully, I had the sagacity to know to keep that thought to myself, so I merely said, “Oh, that sounds fun!” and ran off to my room.

The day of the visit finally arrived. It was a beautiful old school called, McGregorson Preparatory School. The campus building were all stone-cut per-Victorian style in architecture and everything was in order in a pristine and beautiful way. We met the Principal, Dr. Helm, a very proper looking lady, and, after making a tour of the campus, I took the placement test.
I placed in the fifth grade. Everything just seems to fall into place for me when it comes to learning and understanding. It seems that my mother's patient guidance in reading and elementary math payed itself off. I rather wish she could have been there to give me a proud hug and kiss. Instead, all I got was a stiff, “Well done,” from Uncle Archibald.

We returned to his flat in silence and made our way to our rooms in silence. Me to read and him to write. I found it hard to concentrate, though. For the first time in months I was excited about something. 
School. 
I couldn't wait to find out and experience what it held in store for me.


_______________________________________________________________________

....So yeah, sorry I didn't get it up last night...I've been really busy with training etc.

Till next time, 

-Thomas 




No comments:

Post a Comment