I
They always said I was born July 7th, 2003 at 11 o'clock on a cold, dark night--as nights normally tend to be. I have no reason not to believe them, for it is evident that I was born at some point in time, and the point they give is just as likely to be correct one as any other. They also say that I was born in Wooster General Hospital and given the name Liam Ignacio Ellen. This I know for I can still remember patches of early years, which I will now try to recall for your edification.
My parents are
immigrants, my father from Scotland; my mother from Portugal. Hence
the strange name. We weren't exactly poor per se, but we certainly
didn't have any extra money lying around in excess. My dad was a
mechanic at the local car shop and my mom worked part-time as a
housekeeper. We didn't have much, but I lived in a happy home,
conveniently situated in neighborhood almost entirely populated by
elderly couples who both gave me treats and were usually asleep
before the sun. What is more, our home was filled with love, and that
love brought along with it joy and peace. I still hold images of my
parents putting me to bed. They would stand over me—they seemed
quite enormous, but in that somehow not intimidating way parents seem
to naturally be masters of— my mom with her large, doe-like brown
eyes glimmering in the soft evening light, her brunette curls forming
am exquisite frame for her kind, motherly face. Then there was Daddy.
He would alternate his glances between Mommy and I. He was slim, and
had a boyish sort of face; a face filled with love for his little
family.
There was the
swing outside under the oak tree. Ah, the countless hours we spent
swinging underneath it's branches, and how I longed for the day when
I would be old enough to lose myself among it's foliage. The summers
were filled with lemonade and watermelon, the winters with stories.
Ferdinand the Bull and Winnie
the Pooh being the most
revisited. If the entirety of life was like my early days,
there would be no need for heaven...
Speaking of
heaven, my family wasn't strictly religious. That is, we didn't go or
belong to a particular church. My parents were good people, though,
and they believed in God and in turn instilled that belief in me.
Something that I did not comprehend or appreciate until recently.
The days
happily piled one on top of the other until I was three and a half.
By then I could read with affluence and had my multiplication and
addition tables down. Pat. Everything came so easily to me—perhaps
too easily. There was at least one thing, though, that my little
head could not wrap itself around. Why were the kids my age so slow
and unintelligent? I would ask and re-ask myself a form of this
question whenever I was left without entertainment. I just couldn't
get it. The result of all this was that I'd sit in corner, reading,
while my peers would rumble around on the playground, fighting,
eating bugs and dirt, etc. during the 'mommy meetings' or whatever
those things that all the moms went to were called. I was, I'll
admit, a prototypical social recluse.
But then Kevin
came along and he changed everything. Oh gosh, the stuff that went
down when we joined forces still manages to crack me up. I'm really
not sure how our moms managed to retain their semblance of sanity.
Kev was five and pretty smart for his age. He was small, though, so
he fit right in with me. We fought an undeclared war on the rest of
the playground crew, and our un-mated mates were no match for his age
and my brains. The awful cruelty of children is only outmatched by
their wonderful honesty. And my, we were both cruel to our
“playmates” and honest about some of the more plump of the moms.
The oddity of it all, though, is that our cruelty was more often left
unpunished then our brutal honesty. How unjust life is. Even after
all this, I still think that the honesty of a child is
wonderful. It's much better than the deceit and reservation that
confines our supposedly grownup world to it's never-ending boorish
state. Anyway, there was one
time when “the others,” as we called them, were roughhousing and
eating away, when Kev and I found the sprinkler box. And it
fortuitously was unlocked. All we had to do was turn the handle from
the left to the right—just a few fateful inches to get back at
those dirt-eating rapscallions for putting earwigs down our shirts
the other day.
Needless
to say, we turned it. The result was glorious. Pure chaos. I
particularly remember watching with glee as an abnormally dimwitted
chap tried to get out of one of the sprinkler's paths. The only
problem—for him that is—happened to be that he
was revolving in the same direction as the sprinkler. He came
out of the ordeal slightly more drenched than the others. Ah, poor
little man; we were shameless. Veritable devils. Unfortunately for
us, the evidence against Kev and I was quite tangible this time
around, in the form of a plethora of screaming, wet three year-old’s,
and two little gremlins laughing beside the fateful sprinkler box. We
got timeout. Quite a lot of it. But we afterwords agreed that the
effect was worth the punishment.
Another
and more important result of my interactions with Kev was the idea of
having a sibling. He had two, an elder brother and a little sister. I
naturally decided after a time that I wanted a little sister ad well.
My heart was soon set upon the idea. I wanted a sister with all my
heart.
So
I asked my mom about it, “Mommy, I want you to get me a little
sister like Kev.” Sadly, that was my way of 'asking' as I
was somewhat spoiled and thought the world revolved around, well, me.
My mom gave one of her knowing little chuckles that I remember so distinctly and replied, “You silly boy, you, I can't just go and get you
a little sister like I go and buy your lunch, or pick one up at the
drive-through.”
I
was perplexed, so I asked, “Why not?”
“Because a little sibling would be a gift. You don't
buy gifts, do you Liam?”
I
replied in the negative, but I wanted to know who gave little
siblings as gifts, so I could become friends with that person and
then he'd give me one—or so I thought— I asked her, “Well, who
gives them so I can become friends with him...?”
Another
chuckle as she ruffled what little hair I had and then, “Come on
silly, you're already friends with him.”
“What? No way. Don't tell me its Kevin.”
“Kevin! Spare us, no. God, my dear.”
God
again. Although I felt an inexplicable attachment to this three
letter word, that's what it was, a three letter word that Mom used to
explain the inexplicable, if you can call what she did explaining.
That's all it meant to me: an aura of undefined, vague goodness. And
that was the thing I had to be friends with in order to get my little
sister. I was at a loss as to how to foster that friendship, so I
gave the all-knowing, “Ohhh, okay.” and continued, “Well, how
can I be sure that we are really good friends and that he will give
me my little sister?” I had dealt my mother four Aces and she
played them well.
“I
think the best way, Liam, for you to be sure that that you're God's
close, close friend is by doing what he wants you to do and all you
need to do is ask him every night for your little sister until you
wake up one morning and she's there.”
“Okay, but what does he want me to do?”
“Oh
yes, of course. Long story short, Liam, for now all he wants is for
you to obey and listen to me.” And with a wink she added, “No
more sprinklers.”
After
weighing whether the price was worth the product, I nodded and
blurted, “Alright, if its sure to get me a sister.” and started
toward the door for the swing.
If
only my young head had appreciated fully the weight of my mother's
answer, “No, my love. Sorry, but nothing in life is for sure.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....So there it is. Sorry if the format was confusing...blogger is stupid and it disregarded all of my indentations etc...I am far to lazy to do it again when its already there on my word-processor. And after all, I am writing this for no other person than myself, so if any of you read/enjoy it, it'll just be a bonus.
I know that probably sounded really self-centered, but it really makes any sort of potential pressure nonexistent, so that's my mindset. And, well, I'm a bit self-centered--but aren't we all?
I also have really good news to share about my triathlon stuffs. I heard yesterday that I have been selected to represent Team USA at the Pan-American Championships in June, which awesome because I really wasn't expecting that. And the training is going awesome. And SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!Everything is awesome.
Till next week,
Peace.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....So there it is. Sorry if the format was confusing...blogger is stupid and it disregarded all of my indentations etc...I am far to lazy to do it again when its already there on my word-processor. And after all, I am writing this for no other person than myself, so if any of you read/enjoy it, it'll just be a bonus.
I know that probably sounded really self-centered, but it really makes any sort of potential pressure nonexistent, so that's my mindset. And, well, I'm a bit self-centered--but aren't we all?
I also have really good news to share about my triathlon stuffs. I heard yesterday that I have been selected to represent Team USA at the Pan-American Championships in June, which awesome because I really wasn't expecting that. And the training is going awesome. And SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!Everything is awesome.
Till next week,
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment