Thursday, April 3, 2014

THE WORST FEELING IN MY LIFE. EVER.

Hello again. I have just returned from doing the most immature thing I've done since that time with the place and the thing, 19 months ago. Let's start at the beginning...

I went to play volleyball with my friends, and it was super fun. Not to pat myself on the back or anything, but we are actually getting pretty good. When the dust cleared, my friend and I were left to disassemble everything by ourselves. And my friend had a gnarly bee sting, so he was a lot of help. (jk man) Then I lugged the beastly set 1 mile and a half to this corner market that makes these huge burritos. My friend is super holy, so he gave up meat for lent. Consequentially, I didn't want to be wolfing down a meat-laden burrito in front of him. They had a vegetarian option, so I thought I'd give it a try and promptly ordered it. My friend saw what I was doing and told me that the veggie option was gross and to order a meat one. So I asked the kind lady at the counter id she could switch my order to a carnitas burrito. I got a "Yes" and waited for my order. 

A few minutes later, the long awaited brown paper bag appeared on the pick-up counter. I got up and took the bag, it had "2x$3.99" written on. The kind lady at the counter doesn't have the best of English, she thought I had said, and carnitas. To further complicate things, I was on the phone. That, plus the fact that they had already made it and I'm non-confrontational, made me just let it go and buy them both. 

Oh, I've mentioned the phone haven't I? Its actually rather important. You see, I was trying to convince her to let me skip out on swim team and hang out at my friend's house. Alas! It was not to be. She told me that I had to go. The problem was that I had somewhat foolishly depended on her letting me skip. That why I got the burrito. Or rather, burritos. Now I was stuck, 5 min. before my workout was supposed to start with two ginormous burritos and an Arnold Palmer. My friend and I dropped the volleyball net at his house, picked up a sweater for him, and headed down to the pool. 

I was still faced with a dilemma: what to do with all the food? On the way down, we came up with a "brilliant" idea. I was to challenge myself by eating both burritos, chugging the Arnold Palmer, and then immediately doing a 100 freestyle sprint off the block, with my friend kindly providing the precautionary trashcan at the wall. Surprisingly, my coach gave the ok, and I got started. I was full by the time I was halfway done with the veggie one. And I still had the carnitas left, But I stayed in the moment and persevered, taking it one chomp at a time. I cannot describe the pain. The very thought of food makes me sick. And the pressure. I felt as if the whole world was watching and depended on me. I finished the food, and the 100 remained. There I was on the block, facing destiny. I came, I saw, I conquered, and held it all in as a bonus. But then I has the rest of my workout to do and...Gosh! It was awful. We were, naturally, starting a really hard interval set that included sprints. Just my luck. But I deserved it. I'm such an idiot. I've learned my lesson though. I guarantee that I will never eat two huge burritos and chug an Arnold Palmer before working out. What that they always say...You live and you learn. I definitely learned.

Looking back, I am in a state of total disbelief and disgust. I can't believe I thought something that gross and stupid was a good idea....They say hindsight is 20-20. They speak the truth. And now you know why I titled this, the ramblings of a teenaged athlete, not, the ramblings of an athlete. 

Anyway. I hope that kind lady at the counter uses that extra money to enroll in English 1 at the community college. 
-Thomas, who doesn't want to have to grow up and need of the directions to Neverland.

No comments:

Post a Comment