Monday, April 7, 2014

I just made myself want to go camping.

Hello there again. We haven't met for an extended period of time, have we? Since before weekend, if my memory serves me well. To, be honest, though, I have a legitimate excuse. I went camping in the Sierras over the weekend with a bunch of friends and so did not have internet access. The camping went tolerably well, discounting the sleepless nights, the 80 year old's that were getting drunk and blaring their awful music till 4 in the morning, the bears, the opossums, the squirrels, the bugs, the dirt, the food, and the corpse my friend found in her tent. It was a fake corpse, though, and yet for some imponderable reason she didn't take it very well. Upon further reflection, it probably wasn't the best of ideas to pull that prank, especially because we were telling ghost stories around fire that night. You should have heard her scream; it would have chilled your very bones.

She was actually pretty cool about it, all things considered. All she did was line our sleeping bags with honey and marshmallow fluff the next day. And yes, I was the first one to go to sleep that night, and yes, the honey-marshmallow combination was not the most pleasant to sink into at the end of what had been a quite tiring day. But we deserved it. Emphasis on the we. At least I emphasized the we. To the extent that I played it cool until my three buddies came to get into their warm, cozy, sleeping bags for a nice night's sleep. It seemed an eternity before they were finally in the tent and starting to crawl into their sleeping bags. I must confess that I saw with a certain amount of glee that they took neither their socks nor their jackets off before they unknowingly engulfed themselves in unwanted gooey-ness. The predictable result of their slothetic hygiene was that they didn't realize anything abnormal for about 30-45 seconds. It was a longer time, or at least it seemed so, than I would have thought, and the awful idea that maybe I was the only one she did it to, crept into my mind and filled it with despair--was all this lying here in grossness for nothing, I asked myself. But then, right as I was on the brink of 'fessing up and despairing, they started reacting and saying things that are probably best left unrepeated. Then I let on that she hadn't dressed my bag and they were infuriated because the prank had kind of originated in my head. It glorious. Then we had to take our clothes and sleeping bags and put them in trash bags, to be dealt with upon our return. (pressure washing did the trick, in case you were wondering) And we had to do without for the rest of the weekend. Without our bags, that is. Thankfully, even my buddies had spare at least one spare change of clothes.

To honestly be honest, actually, I didn't go camping. I did have a jam-packed weekend, though. I finished all the reading for one the classes I'm doing this year and now all I have to do is a paper. So be jealous. But seriously. I was home for a total of 4 and a half hours during the period between 8:30 in the morning and 10:30 at night over this past weekend. It was crazy. It involved volleyball, cruise night, adoration, a movie night, the beach, going to my brother's tetatrathon, (which he dominated, btw) seeing the new Captain America movie, going to an after party at which there was a chocolate fountain,  going to my friend's house for the entire day, and then going to someone's house for dinner. For desert there was strawberry shortcake and creme brulee. Again, be jealous....it reminded me of the days when my brother and I would play with my mom's brulee torch and invariably get into trouble for it....flames are so fascinating

Anyway. I gtg, so ttfn.

-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment