Sunday, March 30, 2014

Happy Sunday! (feat. hipsters in SP)

I must say that I seem to have got the art of falling practiced to perfection. This morning I was skating down to a coffee shop to meet up with my friends and the toe of my skate somehow got caught up in the mist of a crossover. Anyhow, I did this sort of sliding inverted slits thing and gracefully flitted down to the concrete. And although it unfortunately didn't quite feel like landing on a pile of feathers, it really was pretty much devoid of any pain. Taking all of this into account, I have considered the considering the possibility of my vocation being that of a ballerino. But I think probably not.

The coffee shop was really quite nice, but it was hilarious because there was a clan of classy hipsters at the table next to us, complete with tiny round-rimed glasses, tight pants that were about an in and a half too short, etc. Let me put this in context for those of you who are outsiders. This is Santa Paula we are talking about, quite possibly on par with the most un-classy towns in California. Its the kind of town where its not an abnormality to see people strolling down main street in pajamas; this is the polar opposite of Seattle and SF. To see a such a large concentration of them was, needless to say, a novelty. All I can say is, they are invading. BEWARE!    

Anyway. Yesterday I went to the a seminar on Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. It was insane. And I got really worked up. I honestly felt sorry for the leader because at times there were like five or six conversations going on and it's hard to guide chaos. He did an amazing job for what he was dealing with: a horde of emotionally dominated teenagers. Anyway. Because we were, at times, a somewhat dysfunctional group, I was building up steam the entire time. It wasn't that what we were talking about was necessarily bad, it was that we weren't working together well, which was, I think, due fact that its a powerful book and people were pretty invested in it. This all made it interesting, though, and it was ultimately really fun.

Afterwards the steam boiled over and I got into probably the most intense argument I've ever been a part of and it was insanity. And tiring. But good.

Once people were all argued out, we went outside and conversed in a more relaxed and pleasant way. I have mixed feeling about arguing, though, partly because its easy to fall into arguing for mostly egotistical reasons (at least for me...I'm working on that whole humility thing) and also because my mouth is so much more clumsy than my mind. All in all it was a awesome evening.

Well, I should probably now turn my attention to the present, instead of blabbering about my uneventful past.

TTFN.

-Thomas

2 comments:

  1. You know, running is for girls. BECOME A BALLERINO IT'S YOUR CALLING. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I THINK I WILL. maybe....well, probably not, but I like having an open mind about things and I've already got the spandex thing down so ya never know. ;)

      Delete