Monday, March 10, 2014

We foolish creatures.

As I have nothing much to write about at this particular instance, I have started typing without aim, and hopefully an inspiration will eventually show its elusive head. For the present time you will unfortunately have to deal with an aimless scrambling of consonants and vowels, the purpose of which are unknown not only to you, but to their author as well. Inspiration is quite a strange phenomenon, is it not? It seems to show itself when one is in the least need of it, and when it finally would be useful to have a nice dose of it, it invariably slips from one's mind like grains of salt through one's fingers. That being said, I am under the opinion that the meaning of having "writer's block" has come to be over, and therefore improperly, used. Many aspiring writers spend too much time discussing and 'learning about' this problem to the extent that it becomes a subconscious mental obsession. The aspiring writer's creative side lives in constant fear of experiencing a case of it. Fear causes small hurdles to appear the size of mountains, so when these aspiring writers sit down to write and they draw a blank, as I have done today, the idea that he or she is experiencing writer's block creeps into their minds. So this is what it feels like, they think to themselves. And eventually they start to freak out. The result of this extremely liberal idea of what writer's block is is much like when too little butter is spread over too much bread. The new slice of aspiring writers is tempered and does not reach its full potential because many of them give up: their fears make lilliputian pitfalls appear in their minds as impassible crevices.

Well that was cheery, wasn't it? Yep. I don't really know what happened, but there you have my totally uninformed opinion. It just kind of flowed. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm talking about and unfortunately that doesn't usually doesn't stop me from blathering about stuff I have no business discussing. But hey, it did sound pretty convincing, didn't it? And at least I know I don't know what talking about, unlike many who publish books and make bucket-loads of money off the general ignorance and simplicity of humanity nowadays.

In other happenings, Frankenstein (the book) just arrived at my door, so I will be reading that in the near future. I've heard mixed reviews so I'm somewhat excited to be able to form an opinion of my own. It should be interesting.

I also have decided to keep my mouth shut about food because I most often stand alone in my opinions about it and I like my friends. I mean, taste in food is quite subjunctive, so there is not really any right or wrong and there is therefore no sense in arguing about it. From now on I will try to keep my opinions to myself on such matters. Its going to be hard.

TTFN.

-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment