Monday, March 24, 2014

Its been too long. Sorry.

I obviously have survived what will, from now on, be referred to as hell week. At some points I thought I was going to die, and at many points I almost threw up. But it was good pain for the most part, so 'purgatory week' might be a better suited name. But hell has more of a dramatic effect, so I think we'll keep it. I learned some new stuff, the most important being that I made the right choice by not taking swimming to a high level. Triathlon is way better. The life of a elite swimmer consists of eating, sleeping, and swimming, so they spend half their life gaping at the bottom of a pool. How boring is that? That's what I did over last week and it was indescribably boring. That is, when I had the energy to be bored; I was mostly in a comatose state. 

I am not going to bore y'all with a daily account of the camp, (pretty much eat, sleep, and swim, with a sprinkling of yoga) but there are a few things that are worth recounting. One of the days was Sunday, so I had to somehow get to mass. Enter Family Ambuul. Practically the best family ever. You know, the kind that makes you think, If I ever have a family, this is what I would want it to be like that. They were so awesome. I just love meeting nice, new people. I think its comforting because someday I'll probably be moving away from the great community I'm a part of right now and it goes to show that there are great communities and people all over the place. And you know, I think that's all I'm going to say about the camp.

Oops. One more thing. I'm somewhat annoyed. You know how I didn't bring my computer to camp because I wanted to get homework done? I got practically nothing done because in the rare occasion that I actually did have free time, I would flop on my bed and the most productive thing I could do was stare blankly at the ceiling. And sometimes even that was a tall order. Like everything, though, this state of lethargy had a flipsidical silver lining. I was too tired to do anything, even sin. I DIDNT HAVE THE ENERGY TO SIN. It was the weirdest thing. But extremely convenient.  

Fast forward to today, (but yesterday now because I'm not posting this until tomorrow which is actually going to be today...why does life have to be so complicated?) and things get crazy. I'm still getting acclimated to living a “normal” life, a.k.a. doing chores. (the dishes part especially stinks) Speaking of dishes, actually, we had about fifty people over for brunch this morning, and guess who washed everything? You got it. Me. It was a rude and painful encounter with reality. I am going to have to do dishes; the OTC doing them for me was merely a fleeting moment. And, as fate has prescribed, the first time I washed dishes since coming home, almost every dish in the house had been used. It was crazy; it was painful; it was like stepping out from a dark cave into the sunlight.

After doing the dishes, my friends and I went to play volleyball. We played forever and it was soooooo much fun. After the first game or so, everyone started playing really well and it was was insane. Once we were done with that, we all went back to a friend's house and chilled for a little bit before going to a fundraiser dinner. The story of that runs as follows: taking care of a billion little kids, standing in as a traffic police, waiting forever for my parents to get there a buy me a dinner, a really small and therefore unsatisfying dinner, cleaning up, and scrubbing an industrial stove/range that had eight burners, a huge flat frying surface, and looked as if it hadn't been washed in the entirety of its existence. But there were friends. And friends are the best. So it was bearable and even fun at times.

I realized that I didn't really tell you about my trip to the OTC because it would have “bored” you and then proceeded to tell you about a day in which nothing really happened. The irony of it all.

TTFN.


-Thomas,  

No comments:

Post a Comment