First off I want to say that if you are looking for a laugh or whatever you look for in my less serious posts, you probably should go back to wasting your life on YouTube or whatever else you do. So, make up your mind and do what you want to do because this thing is about to get seriously serious.
When you are a teenager, for some unfathomably unreasonable reason, you are looked up to by younger children: you are their role models. This usually means that maybe one or two younger people are the I wanna talk like you, I wanna walk like you, etc. type. The type that follows you around and tries to mirror your every action. They can get quite cumbersome. Sometimes you get stuck with them and you just want to be talking with your friends who are chilling in a circle on the other side of the room; you are tired of being idolized; you just want to detach yourself from this annoying tail that goes where you go, is constantly praising you, is constantly trying to emulate you, and is (mostly) constantly failing to do so accurately.
Why I am bringing this up? Well, its kind of complicated. I'll do my best to explain it. A few nights ago I saw that sort of relationship personified and the 'Idol' was thankfully giving the 'worshiper' her full and undivided attention in a loving way. I was struck in a powerful way of the beauty of it all. It was so amazing. I was left in the wonderment stage until I got home because I was quite busy. When I at last got home and laid myself down to go to sleep, I asked myself why, why had that seemingly commonplace situation been so uncommon and wonderful to experience?
These are my thoughts. It was a wonderful type of the love and relationship that we should share with Christ. The 'Idol' was a Christ-figure in that moment and the worshiper was all of humanity. When all is boiled down, isn't it true to say that all of humanity is trying to emulate Christ, either in the right or the wrong way? We are Christ's stupid, clumsy tail. The only difference in the relationship between us and Christ and the relationship between the "Mama duck and her ducklings" relationship we humans have is the infinitesimal difference in the gap of rank and the gross inadequacy with which we imitate him. Granted, an infinite difference is a rather large one, but the two relationships are intensely related, just as the grooves and cracks of the Grand Canyon are related to the grooves and cracks of our finger prints. That is why that particular moment was so beautiful to experience.
So I guess what we should take from this is that we should be gracious 'Idols.' Not only because we were all at sometime the followers others and are now the followers of Christ, but because in doing so we are beautifully imitating Christ. We should be patient as Christ is patient, we should love as Christ loves because we are to be windows through which the light of Christ is transmitted to others. Can you imagine what it would be like if Christ got tired or impatient with us?
TTFN
No comments:
Post a Comment