My apologies in advance, but today I'm going to be quite serious again, I think. For some reason I've kind of had a serious vein the last few days, which if you know me will be surprising, but it is nevertheless true. I've been thinking a lot. Its quite a new experience, but its really very fun.
We all, or at least most of us, have dear friends and relatives who are confused and do not lead the best of moral lives. Because we love them, we naturally want to have what's good for them; we want them to experience the joy and peace that follows from living in accord with God's law. But often bringing them to into Christ's fold seems to be a lost cause. For instance, one of my Grandmas died a fallen away Catholic. We prayed and prayed for her and yet there was no tangible sign of change. I hope and pray that those prayers came to fruition of her deathbed, but there is no way of knowing. The question remains, though. Why does God let these people become so confused? Why does he let people who we love and are close to live so cut off from his love?
I don't think one can perfectly answer this question. Life is a mystery to us. It is as if an 8 year old opened a applied calculus book. The 8 year old would not at all understand it and things that would appear to be contradictions to him are in actuality beautiful truth. With life, we are the 8 year olds and God is Issac Newton. We cannot understand it fully because it has to do with God, God is infinite, and our human minds are too puny to be able to wrap around the idea of infinity.
We don't exactly know the why, but the good news is that we do know what to do. We have to know what to do or else there wold be no purpose to life. We are to trust in God. We cannot trust something we do not love, though, and we cannot love God unless we love all who we are surrounded with. If we suspect that someone we know is undergoing a trial, we must pray for them and show them true love. For by showing them pure, in-corrupt love we are showing them God in the best way possible. Once one has done that, one has done all one can do*, and the rest is up to God. The only person who's heart we have any sort of control over is our own. All that is left to do is to trust in HIS providence; trust that all is for the greater good, and, as Aslan would say, not become overly bent on other people's stories.
Speaking of prayers, I would be much obliged if ask that my checkup goes well today, and that my health problems are pretty much gone as they seems to be. If its HIS will, of course. ;)
I promise next time will be a light one.
-Thomas
*Showing someone love is sometimes more than simply being nice and compassionate. One needs to weigh the circumstances, obviously.
(Hi, this is a Froula. Our families know each other through TAC or something and I found your blog through Josie I think.)
ReplyDeleteThank you for this. It was very encouraging. And I love how you defined Calculus as "beautiful truth." ;-)
(Oh, ok. Cool. Yeah, there are soooo many connections with TAC people, its kind of scary sometimes..)
ReplyDeleteThanks. I'm glad to hear it. And I don't really want to get into what I think about math right now, so I guess it'll leave it at, thanks again!