Another day, more schoolwork, too much free time, aimless walking around, aimless thinking. That pretty much covers it.
Although I have to say that I've already finished the book my Godmother gave me...it was amazing. The guy who it was about was just abut the greatest person I've come into contact with, either in real life or a book. This post would be way too long if I tried to explain the story accurately, so you'll have to take my word for it. Plus, if you know me I'll probably be talking about it for quite sometime. If you are interested in a truly inspiring story though, the title of the book is, Miracle of Father Kapaun. Its only about 140 pages and its really worth the time. (I can loan it too.)
I was thinking about the story and I had a thought that was really crazy, but probably true. I thought, "Dang, this Fr. Kapaun guy probably truly enjoyed his life more than most modern day Americans." Ok, you say "what's so crazy about that?...aren't good priests usually happy?"
I reply, "Just wait till you hear the conditions he lived under."
The conditions were roughly: a North Korean POW camp; a sub-300 calorie starvation diet; no fires were allowed and temperatures dropped below -30 degrees; no clothes or blankets were distributed; no water or showers.
Fr. Kapaun endured all this for about 8 months before the Chinese guards put him to death by starvation.
And now you know why its a crazy thought. But you see, Fr. Kapuan had God. And with God anything is possible. From the very beginning of his imprisonment, (which was, btw, voluntary...he refused opportunities for retreat to stay with and care for the wounded) Fr. Kapuan never thought of himself and was always trying to help others. His selfless, cheerful leadership saved hundreds of men in that awful camp.
Most modern Americans, with their TV's and smartphones and all, are not at all happy because the only thing that is truly important to them are themselves and things that benefit them. Its the sad but true truth of the state of our country. Fr. Kapuan on the other hand, knew that to be happy meant to serve others and that is how he pushed through horrific hardships with cheerfulness and peace. And why, in the end he probably enjoyed his time in that death camp more than lots of Americans who have all the modern comforts.
The book also made me feel kinda guilty about complaining about our cereal, because their "meal" in the camp was actual birdseed ...but it was a rant, and I was not really being serious, so its all good.
Ok lets set the time machine to last night...
Youth group. We watched this movie about this amazing German, who was a Lutheran pastor who helped Jews in Nazi Germany escape and was eventually hanged for his heroic actions. It was a great story, but sometimes a little hard to take seriously because he got engaged to a girls in her teens when he was in his late thirties. To make matters worse, she had been his confirmation student....eewww. It also didn't help the actors looked 12 and 60, instead of 17 and 38 or 39. Anyway I'm going to do some research, and if the whole engagement thing was a "Hollywood" angle, I'm going to be majorly peeved because it was otherwise an interesting movie.
Well, I Guess that actually turned into something. I don't know if it was a good something or a bad something, but it was most definitely a something. :P
That's what's so great about a blog, you can start with nothing to write about and then unexpected things just pop up out of the blue, and it feels so good when that happens. Its like a spur of the moment get together, or a surprise party that is just a ton of fun. Speaking of spur of the moment fun, don't you just HATE it when you're really looking forward to a party or something and it turns out to be a wash...its like, its like finding a firework and waiting for a perfect time to set it off and then, when the perfect time finally does come, its a dud....grrrrrrrrrrr.
That's all folks...talk to you soon,
-Thomas, who is too lazy to get a picture right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment