Last night I went to a dance. And it was no ordinary dance, it was a costume dance. The costumes were really cool, except mine (it was pretty much just a wig) and I had a ton of fun. If any of the people who put it on are reading this, thanks again for a great night!!!
Oddly enough, the dance is actually not what this post is going to be about. It's rather some thoughts that stemmed from a conversation I had last night while dancing. My friend and I were dancing and some of our friends were being, ahem, shall we say, a little bit annoying. She wasn't happy about it and I, a little later in the dance, also got annoyed at a friend. At one point we were talking about one of the persons who was not at the moment one our good side, and I said something along the lines of, Yeah, he's an interesting guy; he's quite changeable, sometimes he's super cool, and sometimes I'm like, why am I friends with this guy? That last part of what I said was sadly true.
Now there's something I need to make clear. I'm a peoples kind of person. I like people. A lot. In fact, I think I can honestly say that I don't know anyone that I really dislike. I mean, there are definitely people that don't like hanging out with much, but if someone were to ask me to name a person that I rally don't like, I'd be hard pressed to name someone. That'd not to say that I don't get annoyed at people though. I do. But think all of us could use a little bit un-biasedness. Jesus really knew what he was saying when he said to, Take the beam out of your own eye before take the sliver out of your brother's.
When someone annoys us, it helps (at least me) to look at ourselves. We need to remember that all of us are human. Please, if you think you have never annoyed someone in your life, raise your hand. Ok, if any of you did, you think wrong, put it down. What I'm trying to say is, we all are annoying sometimes, but it is a lot easier to see the other person's annoyingness as opposed to ours. And hey look, I'm not saying there aren't people that are, by nature, extremely annoying sometimes, but it can be a lot easier to deal with those kind of people if you look at yourself.
As I said, I was majorly not happy with the way one of my friends acted last night, but how do I know that he knew he was annoying me (phew! that was a mouthful) To take it further, how do I know that I wasn't annoying anyone last night? I certainly wasn't trying to, but who knows if my behavior ticked someone off a little bit?
Another thing that helps I think is too look at one's friends' strengths rather then their short comings. For instance, there is a certain person that I happen to know very well who is pretty obnoxiously annoying lots of the time. But on the other hand, he is so simple minded and childlike. And I like to think of Jesus's words, "Amen I say to you, unless you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."
Anyway. My apologies to those of you that are churchgoers, two sermons in one day is definitely overkill. And I know that most of you probably know and have already heard this stuff. I wrote it more for myself an anything else. Writing things out really helps me make my thoughts concrete and it also helps me believe them. I was not at all happy with my friend and am still getting over it. This post has kinda just been telling myself these things to help me get over it...It reminds of the old cartoons with the devil on one side and the angel on the other, push and pulling against each other. This post has been a big "pull" for the Angel. :)
On a lighter not, I just thought that I'd let you know that I think reading my blog is definitely getting you closers to heaven. For, if you have survived to this point, you have most probably grown in the virtues of perseverance and patience.
Here's to a good week!
-Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment