So I was in San Diego for the weekend for CAF's, "Best Day in Triathlon" otherwise known as the SDTC. I was reluctant to go because it seemed everything fun was happening that weekend at home--there was a dance and a lecture, both of which I was looking forward to, and Sundays are just always a ton of fun. But, of course, once we got there* I had an amazing time. Its a experience like no other and its so hard to describe. (Once the photos and video are up I'll post the links)
The amount of courage, inspiration, and fun that one experiences is just incredible. Some of the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing were there, which was amazing, but the best story is that of Dartanyon Crockett. (Freaking epic name, huh?) Here is my attempt of telling it: Dartanyon and his friend (who's name has slipped my mind) are both from broken families and grew up in the slums of Cleveland. They met through their high school wrestling team and became the brothers that they had never had. Ok, What's so special about that? Well, you see Dartanyon is blind and his friend is a bi-lateral above the knee amputee. To get around, Dartanyon would literally carry his friend on his back, while his friend would be his eyes. Then, when ESPN sent a reporter to cover their story, she fell in love with them, quit her job, and became their "mom." The story reached its climax last year when Dartanyon won the Bronze medal at the Paralympics in London. I got to send quite a bit of time with them and they were some of the best and funniest people I've ever had the privilege of meeting.
in addition to stories like theirs, there was good food, catching up with friends, and making new ones And I Didn't get interviewed in front of thousands of people, which was relieving because they told me to prepare for that. The only publicity stuff I had to do was take my pictures with a bunch of celebs right after my swim--it wasn't the best because I felt like I was about to throw up all over them. Hopefully it doesn't look that way in the pictures.
I guess that brings me to the actual triathlon part of the weekend. I did it. All 1 mile swim 44 mile bike and 10 mile run of it. It went relatively well (I say relatively because I hadn't trained in ages) until the end of the bike. I somehow ended up at the front of the race with a bunch of really realy fast guys. I was in way over my head. Anyhow, I stayed with them till the last hill and then I cracked. I was cramping and hurting and it was not pleasant. And I, oh by the way, still had a brutal 10 mile run waiting for me. My legs were absolute toast by the end of the bike. About a mile and a half into the run, my legs started to cramp. Literally ever muscle in my leg, I was crapping so bad a could hardly walk at times. So it ended up being an extremely painful walk/jog. The worst thing about it was that I had voluntarily signed up for the whole thing. Doing just the swim leg would have been more than adequate. All I had to blame was my insanity. It was eventually over. Then came candy, pizza, and hydration. Ahhhhhhhh
I also got told that I was selected to be on the elite team again. Yay! And there was an awesome goodie bag with tons of cool stuff. Including the key to never taking a shower again. So, if any of you detest showers, let me know because I can get you hooked up with something.
Here is one of the many new friends I made:
That is Abel. A two year old wheelie-popping son-of-a-gun and probably the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life.
Signing off now....
-Thomas, who is anxciously awaiting the arrival of his cuz Thomas from New Hampshire tonight with keen anticipation.
*the car ride was purgatory on earth. It took us 6 hours instead of the usual 3 and a half because of th beastly traffic. And speaking of beastly, that pretty much describes my little brother and sister's behavior the entire way down.
No comments:
Post a Comment