So this morning I got lost in the book. Like seriously lost. You know like when you start reading a book and then you 'wake up' hours later. I started reading at 7:30 and before I knew it it was 11 and I had to get ready for mass. I love when that happens. And, at least for me, that never happens with movies. After about 3 hours I start to fall asleep. What I'm trying to say is that we've all had those books that we just cant put down and stay up practically all night until we finish it, whereas with movies its almost impossible to stay up all night watching them without losing interest and nodding off to sleep, esp. when one is watching movies by oneself.
Ok. Why is that? I think what makes a good book more interesting and thrilling than a movie (and therefore waaaaaaaaay better) is the fact the when we watch a movie, we are bystanders; that is, all we are doing is experiencing someone else's creation in a rather superficial way. When we 'get into' a book though, our minds and the author's mind collaborate and intertwine to create an entire universe. Creating a universe (even if one is merely a copilot) takes a considerable amount of active thought. I guess I'd say, then, that the reasons we become more emotionally invested, if you will, in books rather than movies are a) we are at all times actively thinking and therefore occupied and b) that since our reading experience is party created by us, and because we all love ourselves and things we make, we become attached to it.....and that's why books are way better than movies. Don't get me wrong though, I love movies....its just books are, well, better and special and yeah.
On a entirely different and random note, I went on a hike (which was on the ranch that I spent my young younger years) with a family of family friends and parts of my family. I wanted to just stay at home and read or have a friend over, but I guilt tripped myself into going. It stated out great--this crazy hillbilly guy told that there was a bear in the creak we were hiking up. After dealing with my little sister, (who isn't exactly the hiking type) we finally got to our destination. Ohhhh it was so dreamy and beautiful.....all those childhood memories. Which were pretty much, I was a hillbilly. It was great. Oh, and did I mention the legions upon legions of biting gnats? Getting eaten alive was just the way I wanted to spend my afternoon. What happened to making the right decisions making one happy?
It wasn't all that bad, actually. Its just fun to complain. We didn't see the bear, but I wasn't joking about the flies. Grrrrrrrrr
I guess that's it for now.
And as I wont be posting anything tomorrow, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Oh, and I nearly forgot. We finally got a new car!!! We so needed it! And its not just a lame one. I'm happy! (and thankful)
-Thomas
-Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment