And I have the day off from school. Well, kind of. I have some homework to do. :( But that's not what I'm going to be talking about today.
Americans love to have fun and use every opportunity that presents itself to do so. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, its one of the things I love about America. But, like everything, it can be taken too far. Am I not right in saying that your average Joe, when he thinks about Veterans Day, all that comes to mind is, Boo frigging yeah man! Three day weekend baby! Lets party it up!
What is Veterans day though? It is a day of gratitude. Gratitude for the sacrifices that all the men and woman in our armed forces (and their families) have made from the Revolution to the present day. A little while back, I posted a poem, Mariah's Lesson , and, although I'm no poetry expert and have no idea if the style was good, the message it sent was one that coincides with what I'm trying to get at right now. The 'priceless' gifts were her home and her family; her safety and her peaceful life.
We everyday Americans can in no way know or experience the sacrifices our military personal make so that we can live happily and in peace in our beautiful country. I had the privilege of working under one of the most amazing people in existence last summer. Where to start--Well, first and foremost he is a veteran; an ex green-beret who had lived in Afghanistan for 11 years as an interrogator/assassin. What makes that amazing, though, is that when he was a boy, he was diagnosed with tuberculosis and the doctors said he would never run again. When he was 15 he won the LA ultramarathlon and then he became one of the elite of the elite in our military. Besides that, he's a recording artist who has recorded in MGM studios, and he turned down offers from the Secret Service, the CIA, and the FBI to become what he is now: a lifeguard and a youth group leader at his church. Talk about a full life, right?
Anyway. He was one of the best speakers I've heard in my life. We would have flag burning ceremonies and he would talk about it and patriotism and how we should celebrate Veterans Day, and I was brought to tears and chills every time. It was that powerful.
He said that the way Americans celebrate Veterans Day usually makes most veterans angry. All they see are people having fun....huge parties and B.B.Q'S and no mention at all of their sacrifices. They go to the cemetery to visit and thank their fallen brothers who have given "their last full measure of devotion" for their county and no one else is there--everyone is just partying it up. The average Joe can only think about how mush fun his party is going to be and how much stuff he has to buy for it. The veteran, the person for whom this day is dedicated, can only think of his fallen comrades, the pains of war, and how little respect he and they get out of this day.
Doesn't that seem backwards?
So, I guess what I'd like to say is please, please do SOMETHING special today out of respect for our veterans and the sacrifices that they have made so that we, the average Joes, can live in peace and freedom. If your town has a special ceremony, get out and go to it! If you see a veteran, thank him!(or her) If you are having a party, dedicate a toast to all of our heroes! And, if you are doing absolutely nothing 'special' thank the veterans in your heart and say a prayer for them! All of these small, easy acts mean so much to them!
God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And there you have it. Yet another preachy post from yours truly.
-Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment