Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sore Legs.

First off I want to apologize for this post being so late in the day. I kind of put it off and put it off. But here I am. I made it. We're all good. :))

So. I went and did a little workout today at my trainer's bike shop. The result? Sore legs. But its a good kind of sore. Not bruiser sore, more like worn out and used up sore. The soreness reminds me that I've not only used my legs for a good purpose, but that I've also strengthened them and made them, although this sounds weird, more perfect legs. They were made more perfect because they were used as they were meant to be; they were carrying out nature's prescription.

Ok. There are two thing that I wanted to potentially talk about, the above paragraph is sort of related to both of them, and I cant decide which one to choose, so I think I'm going to talk about both.

First its going to be on exercising....

I'm going to steal a line from one of my awesome sponsors, NIKE. Their slogan is: If you have a body, you are an athlete. Now I personally do not necessarily agree with that statement. I know some people that are definitely not athletes. They have other talents, but being athletic is not one of them. I would change it to, If you have a body, you need to take care of it. But I do grant that athletics are a way through which one can take care of your body.

You see,your body, no matter how fat or disfigured it is,* is sacred and a gift. Its sacred because it is the temple of your soul. And, for hopefully most of you, God dwells in it. Like anything material, the body deteriorates from disuse and neglect. If you leave a tree (in a dry place...like socal, for example) to itself and don't regularly water and prune it, it will first become fruitless and then it will die. The same goes for your body. If you don't 'water' it with sweat and 'prune' it with exercise, it will become useless and you might even lose your life. But those negatives shouldn't be the main reason one exercises. Rather, you should exercise and take care of your body because God didn't give it to you for you to neglect it and let it slowly rot away, he gave it to you in the hope that you would respect and take care of it. So. Do. So.

And I'm not saying you should suddenly like become a gym rat and a nutritionist. There are more important things to take care of. But, if want to have a truly balanced life and live your life to the fullest you possibly can (or in other words, live your life as perfectly as it is humanly possible) get out every few days and exercise. I promise you you wont regret it.


The other thing I wanted to talk about is a wee bit vague so we'll see how it goes...

It has to do with a something, or, to be more specific, a quote I came across last night at Youth Group. It ran something along the lines of, I have made myself a slave in order that I may become greater. Or, in other words, he humbled himself in order to become greater. Why does one need to be humble to become a great person? Well, I think to get the answer, one needs to look at the antonyms of 'humble'. Lets see. The first one that comes to mind is proud. But there are many others: arrogant, vain, boastful etc. A person who is truly proud baths himself in his perceived perfection. He knows he's perfect and he is therefore satisfied with his present state and he looks down on his fellow humans. But, that person's pride is his downfall because it is impossible to perfect in this life, so he makes a grave error.

The truly humble man, however, sees his imperfections and looks for good qualities in others, so he can imitate them and become a better person; the truly humble person is always trying to become the greatest person he possibly can. He, like a good athlete, is never satisfied with his status quo. He is constantly striving, pushing for betterment. And that is how real greatness is made. And that constant striving is all God asks of us.

The problem is that most of us are in a limbo between true pride and true humility. So, I guess I'd say that, for the most of us, right now the main struggle is to keep the scale tipped in humility's favor.  And, as a note of warning, the older and more accomplished one gets, the more and more opportunity one has to be proud because you have more and more people to look down upon.

Gah! That turned into another sermon. I'm sorry. No, I really am. Its just that my life is too boring right now. Its a good kind of boring because I'm having a ton of fun, but it's boring for you because my weeks are pretty much the same, week in and week out. And (surprise, surprise) I still have no idea where my emotions should be directed, so there is no news on the personal front. So, to update you on my life pretty much all I'd have to do would be 'Ctrl+C', 'Ctrl+V'  and they probably bored you nearly to death the first time around, so if I gave you a second dose it might significantly reduce your numbers. Plus, these posts really make me think about important things and even if those thoughts don't make any sense in my writing, they usually made sense up here, so its making me a better person and that's my job, right?

Plus, if I do end up becoming a priest and if one day I let preparing a sermon slip through the cracks, so to speak, I can just pull one of these out of my post archive. ;)

So, to sum up. Be active and get humble. And I promise that if something exciting happens, I 'll tell you about it.


Side note. I just love the saying "Get holy or die trying." Its the best. Agreed?


-Thomas, who's stomach has been telling him to give it some food for the duration of his writing of this post...and here he is talking about taking care of one's body....talk about talking the talk and not walking the walk....

*not trying to imply that anyone who reads this blog if either fat or disfigured. Although if you are either, its not the most important thing so don't be discouraged. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment