As many of you may know, I have been having health problems since April. Yep, you just read that right, APRIL. Needless to say, it hasn't been fun. It has, in fact, been quite frustrating. But the most frustrating thing hasn't been the actual illness, it has been the fogginess that has surrounded it. In May I was diagnosed with Mono. I got over that pretty quickly, but it absolutely roasted my immune system. So, the story of my summer was basically, try to start training, feel sick, stop training for couple of days, repeat throughout the summer. You're probably thinking, what about the fogginess? that seems pretty straightforward and clear. Don't worry, it's ok. I'm not going crazy; I'm getting to it. Then, about two months ago, my throat started to get really sore. It was unusual, though, because it did not go away. I have been getting sore throats all summer long, but they were usually gone after a day or two of rest. Like I said, it just stayed there forever. My mom and I went to the doctor, and she had no idea what it was, and didn't see anything wrong with my throat. Hah! There's the fogginess, I TOLD you.
Anyway, the suspense was awful. Just to be clear, I believe everything happens for a reason. So I was seriously thinking that maybe triathlon wasn't what I was supposed to do. The foggy sickness just added weight to that thought. I was thinking: ok, I've been sick for ages now. Why, if God wants me to do this, am I always sick? I struggled with that thought for quite awhile. As you can imagine, this mystery sickness made me think even more about whether I should be doing
triathlon. But yesterday the fog lifted.
My mom called the doctor and she, (the doctor) had just gotten the results from a culture she had taken last week. The results were pretty serious: two separate MRSA staph infections AND strep throat.....guess that would do it.
This is going to sound weird. I think my friend said it best yesterday, I'm probably the first person ever to be stoked to have two staff infections and strep. But I am. It is ssooooooooo relieving to finally know what is wrong with me; to know that, on those days that I didn't "have it" during my workouts, wasn't do to lack of motivation and heart; to know that everything is going to get better soon; and to know that I won't be sick indefinitely with some exotic disease. I am so happy, in fact, I might even be ecstatic!
Well there you go. You now know the long history of my awful summer;)
Take care.
-Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment