Sunday, September 15, 2013

Last day in GB. :(

Ok, sorry I didn't post anything yesterday. We were out literally all day and we didn't get back till pretty late...I just couldn't muster up enough energy type up a post...so I wasted a bunch of time on FB. :P

Today was my last day here...it all went way too fast. London is such an amazing city! If you haven't been here yet, make sure to put it on your bucket list. I think that, besides Big Ben and all the touristy stuff, the thing that really stood out to me the most was the amount of parks. They were all over the place! And they were so, so, so beautiful. From almost anywhere in the city, a 5min walk would get you to a park where you could relax and take a little break from the crazy "city" parts, which were, by the way, a good sort of crazy.

Now for what we did yesterday and today...

Yesterday was a big day. We left the flat at around 11 and went downtown to see all the sights. And we did. Big Ben, The Eye, Parliament, Westminster Abby, Buckingham and all the government buildings, St. James's Palace, Trafalgar Square...you name it, we saw it. There are so many pictures I cant choose...so if you live nearby I can show you when we get back. If not, sorry! I might post a few later.

Then at four there was the medal ceremony. It was a time of mixed emotions for me. I was happy for all (well, most) of the people who were up there, but at the same time it was a reminder to me that I should have been there representing the U.S. On the other hand, it got me super pumped for next year. I WILL be up there next time!

After the ceremony we had a little team photo-shoot. At which the guys got limited edition pairs of J&L Pie Co. (the title sponsor of my team) boxer briefs. They are epic! I wanted to post pictures of me in them, but my parents wouldn't let me, even though it was for a sponsor. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything. ;) Ok, did I just scare you? Good! That was the point...I have this awful tendency of making things up. :P There is actually some in it though; I did get boxers and they are epic, but I was never really seriously considering post pictures. ;)

Now then. Back to the touristy stuff.

After the boxer ordeal, we went across this suspension bridge that's up-river from Big Ben, and right by The Eye. My uncle wanted to go in the eye and kindly offered to take me with him, so we went. It was great! We could see everything! And on top of that, it was right as the sun was setting, so all the lights were starting to come on. I think I'll get a picture.....

It's kinda blurry because it's (obviously) through  glass, but you still get the overall effect...amazingness!

Once we were done with The Eye, we met up with my parents at this awesome restaurant and got pizza. For dessert I got this DELICIOUS tiramisu...it was so big and fluffy I could have died! It tasted so good. That might have partly been due to the fact that it was the first real dessert I had had in 3 months. Not to take anything away from the tiramisu though, it was simply splendid!

Then we had to walk back over the bridge to get to the bus stop...here is the view....
 
 
And that was yesterday...a very tiring, but extremely fun day! 
 
 
Today began after 4 hours of sleep...I'm still not acclimated to going to sleep at the right time here, but I get up at around 7 in the morning usually.
 
It's Sunday, so we went to church. We tried to catch a 9 o'clock at this really neat little church in the downtown area, but we took a wrong turn and were subsequently about 20 min. late. :( It was still neat though. It is the oldest catholic church in Great Britain...the crypt dates back to the 6th century. That's OLD! Then we went to Buckingham again and nothing much was going on there, so we went to the Cathedral for a 12 o'clock mass. It was beautiful. But I think the organ had a drowsing effect on me because, try as I might, I could not stay awake. Thanks, 4 hours of sleep!
 
Then before going back home to pack, came the highlight of the trip so far. I went to Macdonald's. It was crazy expensive.
 
Fin.
 
GB.
 
-Thomas
 
Just kidding! I just looked at the date and realized that my birthday is tomorrow. It's going to be a weird one...traveling and without my sibs or friends. I'll miss you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment