Warning: This might turn into a rant.
I got to the race venue at about 11:30 to check in. Once I got checked in, my dad and I went over to the transition area. And we spent the next hour and a half trying to figure everything out...think we eventually did. ;) Then came the start. All 47 of us had to line up and get our name announced. I was like, oh no, now they know who I am. This is embarrassing. :P Once we were all announced, we all lined up on the platoon. To be honest, my thoughts were a very uninspiring: ewww! This water looks really dirty!...at least I wasn't nervous. ;) Anyway, my swim is my strongest discipline, so it's my job to get a good lead on the main pack and hold them off on the bike and run. Well, everything started up fine, I was in the lead with these two other guys, but then my goggles fogged up. :(
Needless to say, it was quite frustrating. It is really hard to have a good open water swim when you can't see anything. I still managed to come out of the water 7th, but I didn't know that at the time, I thought it was more like 15th or something like that. So. I already wasn't happy with my swim and then, right after I got on the bike, my aerobar for my stump (which is essentially my handlebar for that side) loosened, and flipped over. Ok, now I'm really frustrated. And that's a weak way of saying it. Not only because it happened, but also because I KNEW it was loose and forgot about it. Oh, and did I mention that it was POURING rain and there was gas seeping out of the road in one of the u-turns?
Ok Thomas, take a deep breath. This is turning into a rant.
*deep breaths*
Anyway. I thought about stopping; I was that mad and uncomfortable about and with the aerobar. But I decided to carry on. After awhile I started to calm down. And I subsequently started to feel better. Even start passing people. I was top 5 at one point. But then my calves and quads started cramping. I was like, really? That meant that I couldn't push very had. Then my teammate Chis Hammer passed me. He is, by the way, one of the nicest persons I have ever met and a great athlete. I stayed with him and after a bit I started to feel better. I knew I had no chance of winning it on the run, (my weakness) so I decided to pull Chris (he is a Paralympic runner) in for the last 1/2 lap. I pretty much sprinted it. And my legs cramped up again. The first lap of my run was not very fast, but on the second lap my legs started to feel better. Then this fast Spanish dude passed me and I was like, I'm not letting this guy beat me. I ran on his back until we got to the grandstands and then I pulled along side him. We ran for a little while like that, waiting for the other person to make a move. Then on the last turn in started to sprint. I don't think I've ever run that fast in my life. He was with me for about 50 meters and then he cracked...it felt soooo good. ;) In the end I probably finished 10-15th
Well, that's it. I might post some pictures later...my mom said she didn't get any good ones, but we'll see.
You probably know this, but just to make sure...I'm not trying to make excuses, I know the other guys won fair and square and that I most likely wouldn't have won even if things had gone well....I just would have done better...oh well, next year. I'm already super excited!!! All things considered, I'm happy with it...and hey, a free trip to London? Who am I to complain. ;) Both the trip and the race have been amazing experiences so far.
Pippip!
Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment