Monday, September 30, 2013

"healthy food will make you strong"...who cares?

I like food. A lot. That is, food that tastes good. And I don't understand why people make food that looks and tastes like bird food and horse food. Ok, lets take a step back. As an athlete, I know the importance of eating healthily, but what I don't get is why people make and eat food that has so many grains, seeds, and nuts that I'm shocked they can fit the ingredient list on the box. Have people not realized that one can eat healthily and at the same time eat enjoyable food though? In case you haven't guessed yet, in today's instance I'm talking about cereals. My mom is a wonderful mom, but more importantly, she is a wonderful cook. ;) She really genuinely cares about making sure we kids eat healthily, and when she cooks, makes the meals taste good while at the same time always includes all the food groups. Today, though, we had this cereal stuff that was absolutely gross. But it did have 6 grams of protein, 20 grams of whole grains, (probably one gram of each kind) and 2.5 grams of fiber. My question is WHO CARES? It belonged more in a bird-feeder than my bowl! Although man lost many things because of the fall, God did not say "because of your sin, Adam, you must forever replenish yourself as the birds of the air do; only eating  berries, seeds, grains, insects, worms, and spiders."

Ok, there weren't any bugs in the cereal, but I think you get the idea. God gave us food for our enjoyment. It is also supposed to be a prefiguration of heaven; Jesus often referred to heaven as the heavenly banquet. And I for one, take that as a sign that food should always be enjoyable, because heaven is always enjoyable, is it not? I mean, if birdseed-cereal and mushrooms are a prefiguration of heaven, St. Peter can take me off the list.

So now that you can see that food is meant to be enjoyable, go enjoy it! Savor it while you can, because there ain't gonna be no ice cream sundaes after you die; either you'll be enjoying the ultimate spiritual feast which is infinitely better than a physical feast because it is of a higher nature, or you will be cooking in the devils oven...lets hope its the former.  

That doesn't mean that you should go and eat Macdonald's all day, everyday. But that you should enjoy food in a reasonable, healthy way. Even dieting has its place for performance, disciplinary, and simply weight-loss reasons. Because although food is important there are more important things in life. If one is overweight for example, it can hurt one's self esteem and lead to depression, which can lead to despair and that's not good. If you are trying to shed a few though, I personally think an intense, regular workout regimen is much more efficient than dieting.


Bonjour and bon appetit!

-Thomas, who hopes you had as much fun reading this as he had writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment