Monday, September 30, 2013

Yesterday, Today, and the FUTURE!!!!!!!

Ok. I know there wasn't a post yesterday, but I have a good excuse because I was gone literally all day. So now I will tell you about it.

Yesterday started with a debate at 6:00 in the morning. It was pretty much should I go do what I want to do?... sleep in, go to mass and then probably do something with friends, or do what I should do...go volunteer for this non-profit that takes special needs kids to the beach where they get to go surfing, kayaking etc. It was a hard decision. But I finally decided to go to BestDay, that's the name of the organization, because I knew the side of me that wanted to do the first option was the self-centered side of me. And that was quite strange, because its usually the self-centered side that wins. ;)

When I got to BestDay I was like, wow, why did I do this? My friends are probably chilling at a coffee shop right now and here I am at the beach working my butt off for nothing. *Giving me a virtual slap in the face would be appropriate now*

But once I met the kid that I was a "beach buddy" for, all of my regrets faded away. Basically, what a "beach buddy" does is babysit a special needs kid for the day; he takes the kid to and from all the different stations; makes sure he stays hydrated and plays with him. My kids name this time was Alias. He was lightly autistic, nine, in 3rd grade, a computer geek, and future engineer. I can't put into words how rewarding being a beach buddy is. Even though I would have considered Alias a spoilt, disrespectful kid if he were not autistic, the feeling that you get from knowing that a kid, who is normally probably shunned and made fun of by his or her peers, is maybe or the first time in his or her life the center of attention in a good way and being treated the same way as "normal" kid would be, is one of the most amazing one can experience. Just one of the hundreds of smiles one sees throughout the day makes all the effort worth it. :)

My brother and I got home a little before 3 and then went straight to a party at our friends house. It was  a ton of fun. We had ice cream, chilled, went and chilled at a park, came back for dinner, chilled some more, and watched some TV.

I had way too much ice cream though. It was the first time I had really had ice cream in months, and I had a Klondike Bar and two huge bowls of ice cream. Needless to say, I think my system was a little shocked and I am still feeling the consequences today. :( 

The TV show was a BBC drama/comedy from the 90's...I had watched them years ago, but had forgotten how funny it was. Also, I am now convinced that one of my friends is trying to be the main guy from the show because he didn't used to act the way he does, and now upon re-watching an episode of that TV show, I have realized that a) my friend acts and expresses himself in exactly the same way as the main character, and I mean EXACTLY b) that he loves that TV show. Coincidence? I think not.

Speaking of being convinced, I think I was acting a wee bit asinine last night...not as bad as the baseball game, but still a little bit asinine. But whatever, that's nothing new. :P You know, I actually don't think I was actually that asinine at all, but I love the word asinine and think it is underused. So I wanted to use it and, as I am always (well maybe not always, but at least most of the time; and especially at parties) at least a little bit asinine, I thought talking about last night would be in context. ;)

Oh and I took a physics test this morning...I think it went great, but I guess we'll see when I get it back.

-Thomas, who is super stoked for Oct......every weekend has something fun going on...heck yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment