Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Last night.

I think you all know that my youth group meets every Tuesday night. And if you didn't, you do now. Anyway, last night was interesting because we had a guest speaker who taught us a little bit about talking with prochoice people and spreading the prolife message. Before I go on, I just want to say that the person who spoke to us is one of the most amazing people I know, and she is an amazing role model for all of us younger-young people, so it was a great experience having her come last night. Its kind of not fair, actually, because the girls had two awesome role models last night. (one of our regular leaders, Mary, is right up there with Sarah, the college student who talked to us) The guy leaders are good, I guess, but quite frankly lame in comparison to Mary. Which is a shame because I think the guys of our youth group are in much more need of a truly great person who we can try to imitate and learn from than the girls are. That's not to say that we cant learn a lot from Mary--I certainly have--but its different when you have someone who is of the same gender because its easier to relate to one another.

After Sarah left, we had these sort of mock trial things where two people took the prochoice position and two people took the prolife position. It was really weird because we were trying to have a realistic conversation, but we were doing it with a bunch of people watching us, being our audience. That doesn't exactly breed natural conversation. It was super hard. Especially because the first time I went up, my friend for some reason thought it would be cute to act weird, in a way that I don't want to get into. I was not overly happy about that. The other part of my first time up was good though. I was told to be overbearing and obnoxious. That part was fun. If we do it in the future, though, I think it would be better if we split into groups of four and do it without an audience. It would not only make things more natural, but also be more realistic.

 I had one other problem with the night. The leaders kept on talking about amazing it was that we are going to the Walk4 Life in SF. And how amazing the experience is and everything. Which is all very true and they were just really excited about it, but some people who were there last night are not coming for one reason or another. And I suspect that under normal circumstances everyone would have wanted to come. And I know that some people who wanted to come couldn't make it, so it must have not been very fun for those unfortunate few to be constantly reminded of what they are missing out on.

All in all it was a good night, though. But as Austen says, "Perfect happiness, even in memory, is not common; and there were two points on which she was not quite easy." (sorry, I'm reading her right now and there was a situation that fits exactly with how I feel about last night)


Well,  I had better get a move on.

-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment