Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Space, time, and Einstein.

Yesterday in physics class we had a really cool conversation about work and energy. Then, after I got home from youth group, I stayed up really late talking with my dad about Einstein's Theory of Relativity. It was amazing. And really hard to wrap one's mind around. The thought that time and space are intrinsically connected was crazy to me at first, but then when my dad explained that they both have to do with movement, it made more sense.

A week ago I said during class that I thought that pretty much all the laws of physics were just explanations for effects and not causal. What I mean by that is that scientists see effects due to gravity, light, energy, etc. and then they make a law that states "the effects of so and so should act in this way because that's what has happened in the past." So pretty much a law is what scientists use when they cant really understand a phenomenon's final cause. No one knows what gravity is, exactly, so we have a Law of Gravity that 'explains' it. But not really.

Einstein's theory works out mathematically, and explains many things that before were paradoxes. They've done some really cool experiments and that support his theory. So it is a plausible explanation for the cause of the effects of gravity, but its just one and there are probably others. Honestly though guys. This stuff is so cool that I was thinking about becoming a insane scientist last night, but then I remembered that it would mean that my brain would have to be almost constantly working at a high speed and its not used to working much at all, so I think all that work would probably turn out to be too much of a shock for it and I subsequently gave up the idea.

The reason I am bringing this up, though, is that I had a thought during class. About abortion. So many of the pro abortion advocates say that science says that unborn babies are just a pile of tissue. Which isn't true. If science even has the ability to say anything definitively, something that I think questionable, it points to the opposite. I'm not going to get into that because its pretty self-evident. What is crazy to me is that people put so much faith in science. Don't get me wrong, I think science is awesome and helps us understand many important things, but it seems to me that the "king of science", physics, is made up of laws that don't really explain anything besides, "Well guys, this should happen." I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems so crazy and wrong to me that people have utter faith in these abstract, questionable laws and at the same time think its wrong and delusional to even suggest that a baby is a baby, whether its in its nice, cozy bedroom in mommy's tummy or laying in a cradle. Call me a whacko, but it seems to me that believing a baby is a baby, regardless of its surroundings, makes more sense then putting utter faith in laws regarding phenomena that the law makers don't even truly understand.  

...Whoops, sorry that came out all wibbly-wobbly...hopefully its at least somewhat comprehensible.....it sounded so much better up here.


Okay, I've got a doctor's appointment to go to school to get done, so I have better get going.

Have fun storming the castle!

-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment