Thursday, January 30, 2014

The things we stupid humans do.

And my humans, I mean guys, and by guys I mean me. Sometimes I do things, or I see other people doing things, that are so solidly stupid, it just cracks me up. I think I've already talked about the whole bathroom incident at Magic Mountain, but that's honestly the tip of the iceberg. Most of the time, my stupid moments come from the general area of my mouth, though. From simple, but awful, slip ups of my tongue, to moments where I am left in a shell shocked state, wondering, 'Did I really just say that? Was that really me? The answer is, without fail, yes. I know I just need to think more before I say things, but I just don't know how to. I. NEED. HELP. GUYS. Most of the times I go out somewhere with people, I come home and I pretty much say, Whoops, that wasn't cool Thomas, or that, or that, and so on and so forth.

Don't worry guys, I'm almost done with it, but I just have to talk a little bit more about Emma and Jane Austen in general. I'm going to say, and you can quote me on this, that I love Emma. (both the book and the character....I don't get the people who hate on her...she's not perfect, but she really is a good person) Now I know its not some adrenaline-filled adventure novel that you cant put down until you finish it, but in reality, I think that's the genius of Austen. The insight she gives to the human soul, its triumphs and its defeats, its bliss and its pain, its foolishness and its intelligence, makes her characters so very human, and therefore relatable, that it makes her books amazing and worthwhile to read. I would go so far as saying that her insight and humanization for her characters make it so she doesn't need the most exciting or intricate plot to make write a good or even great novel. Her novels are like a person who doesn't need makeup to further and compliment her beauty because she is already perfectly wonderful. And her writing is so wonderful; about as close as something to get to perfection without being perfect....Here's a quote to prove it. "...'Mr. Frank Churchill and Miss Woodhouse flirted together excessively.' They were laying themselves open to that very phrase--and to having it sent off in a letter to Maple Grove by one lady, to Ireland by another. Not that Emma was gay and thoughtless from any real felicity; it was rather because she felt less than she happy than she had expected. She laughed because she was disappointed;..." Need I say more? That situation happens so many times to everyone, to greater or to lesser degrees. When I'm disappointed that someone who I really wanted to come to a party or a dance doesn't show up, I go crazy because if I'm not constantly talking, dancing, singing, going crazy and generally making a fool out of myself, I get depressed. I need distractions from unpleasant emotions. And we see the very same thing, only on a larger scale, in our society. People need distractions because they are not at peace with themselves; they need constant blaring music, blinking lights, crazy parties, and abuse of drugs and alcohol. They cannot bear silence. Why? Because one's conscience speaks to you in silence; one gets to know oneself in silence; and if one isn't in God's peace, that isn't a pleasant experience. That's what makes her truly great. The countless people and situations that you can relate to. Because they are human.


BYEBYE NOW.

-Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment