Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Embarking On a Journey. (and babies)

Hello. Yes, its me. Again. Today for some reason is just a bloggy day. Part of it may be that I'm finding it hard to find motivation to do my school. And that in turn may partly be due to the fact that my mom is taking care of 6 extra little kids. (their mom just had the seventh) To make things even worse, they're all blond and incredibly cute. All these facts combined with an awful case of senioritis, have made it incredibly difficult to get much of anything done.

*brief period in which I get my favorite little kid a whole pack of cookies*

....I'm going to be such a wonderful parent. :D

Speaking of little kids, there is a couple-to-few-month-old baby that I have practically adopted. Every time his grandma takes him to daily mass, I hold him afterwards until one or the other of us leaves. His name is Oliver and he is one of those wonderful babies that just trusts everyone and cozies up on your chest and around your neck. Its one of the best feelings. I mean, here is a person who's life you literally hold in your hands (or hand, in my case) and in return they give you total trust...I think holding a baby is one of the most touching and warming experiences one can have the pleasure of having in this world.....until they throw up all over you, JK

And I can only imagine *sdfghjkqwerghjdfcxsde45rde4waQW...brought to you by my favorite little kid...he was 'making up stuff'* jbvnmzxsaqwjrtpryu...and that, according to him, is how you spell his name. (John) The way kids spell is so much more interesting than the way we do. Ok, what was I say? Ahh yes! Imagine...how much more amazing holding one's own baby is. You are not only holding the life of a person in your hands, but also tangibly holding both part of you and the product of the love you have for God through the love you have for the person in life that you value above all others. When else can you tangibly hold those two wonderfully intangible things in your hands? Never.

Ok. And now for a totally random Catholic tangent. And its not about abortion....I know what you were thinking. Its about how thankful we should be to our priests. (no matter how long or bad or both their sermons are) A lot is made of their sacrificing matrimonial happiness, and rightly so. But I think people concentrate a lot more of a certain aspect of that sacrifice than they have to and too little on the sacrifice of having no children. They don't get to hold their children in their hands, watch them grow up, graduate, and start their own families in the same way our parents do. It is a huge sacrifice and the service that they do us is too great to put into words, so we really need to be thankful, appreciate, and support them in their courageous lives.

And now for the journey part. (It was going to be longer, but I spent a lot more time on the other part of this post, so you're lucky.) I have to read David Copperfield for the literature course that I'm taking. I'm somewhat daunted. Both because our copy of it is 1200+ pages long, and because I've had mixed experiences with Dickens. I loved the BCC mini-series of Our Mutual Friend and want to read it. I also loved A Tale of Two Cities. But Bleak House was, well rather bleak and boring to me and I couldn't get into it.....that might have been because I figured out the plot way too early and it wasn't worth plodding through another 600 pages to prove a was right. So. We'll see how it goes. Its gonna be long, so it better be enjoyable.

Wish me luck!

-Thomas, who is going to try to start on that daunting journey that is Dickens.  The only thing that comforts him is that daunting journeys, if they end well, usually tend to be the most rewarding. 

- bnmhjkl (And John, who helped me out with the typing when yours truly got tired....that's why its better than usual.)

No comments:

Post a Comment