Thursday, December 26, 2013

The spoils of war.

....and I say that both because after opening presents, our living room looked like a bomb site and because I got an instrument of self-torture. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. We should start at the beginning.

Christmas Eve seems like a good place to start, so here we go.....


Nothing really happened until about five in the afternoon, when my mom told my sister to make some Christmas present deliveries. My sister promptly informed me that I had to go help her. So I did. An hour and 15 awkward conversations later, we were done and she brought me to fast food, which sort of made up for dragging me along and making me do all the dirty work. As we drove up do our house, we saw that the rest of the family had decorated the tree without us, so we gave them a pretty hard time. Then it was dinner time and then we watched Its a Wonderful Life. I didn't watch much of it because I had things to get done, but it really is such a good movie.

Up next was the midnight mass. Which I was practically forced/guilt-tripped into serving for it. (I don't much like serving at our parish. For pretty good reasons too...I'll go into that another time.) When I got into the sacristy, I was informed that I was the Master of Ceremonies...my vision of a prayerful and quiet midnight mass...out the window. But it was still nice.

Fast forward to 8:30 in the morning and everyone is getting up. 8:30. I think that is probably a family record or something. Usually the little ones are up at around 6, and so 'sleeping in' was a pretty nice present to begin with. Then the presents were unwrapped. It was a crazy whirl of color, smiles, and joy for about half an hour and it was so amazing. And pretty much the reason it was so amazing was because I got my family pretty much the best presents ever.

Anyway. I came out with what I asked for: a new stationary bike trainer. Pretty lame, I know, but I honestly couldn't think of much of anything else and I'll need it for when I go to college, so yeah. That was from my parents. I got a Patriots hat from one of my brothers, a Patriots jersey from the other, the most amazingly soft and cozy shirt/sweater thing from my sister, a really funny shirt that I'm not going to tell you about because I want to see if my friends get it from my sister and her fiancĂ©, and a boogie board from the little one. Plus all the normal stuff (a bucket load of candy and a bunch of random but cool stocking stuffers) The only things that were missing were my socks and underwear, but my mom said we are doing another present opening session on Little Christmas, so I'm guessing that the yearly highlight of my Christmas will come then.

The rest of the day was spent chillaxing. (I had no idea that was a word..that's really cool, but kind of random.) Christmas dinner was spent at a friend's house. There were 3 large families there, so it was a wee bit crazy. And I only had two really awkward/stupid and hilarious moments, so that was good. It was really nice though, and I gave out the majority of my remaining presents. One of them was pretty funny and at the same time kind of mean. It was for a girl who I think I have mentioned before...she shot me in the eye with a hairband. Anyway. It was pretty great. XD

Oh, and that reminds me. Yesterday I wanted to see how big a bubble I could blow with six pieces of bubble gum in my mouth.....I stopped when a bubble popped and got stuck in my eye. I was a mess, and I felt stupid. But it was surprisingly fun. I am probably going to have sore jaws for the next week or so, though, so I don't recommend it.

All in all it was a really nice Christmas, and I hope y'all had a great day as well. And that you got a ton of presents, because we all know that the 'giving beats receiving' thing is pretty much the greatest lie ever known to mankind. Just kidding. I actually think it does. And that is probably because I have pretty much everything I could possibly want. Besides that mansion in Ireland...If someone gave that to me, giving would definitely beat receiving. ;D

I have a ton of washing up to do*, so I guess that's all folks.

Merry 2nd day of Christmas!!!!!!....my true love didn't gave me 2 turtle doves today...here's to hoping yours did! Although I'm not sure why you'd want them. I don't much like birds...they're gross and somewhat scary......


-Thomas, who may or may not have eaten too much yesterday.
   
*In England, instead of calling dish soap, dish soap, they call it, washing up liquid. Isn't that cool? It almost doesn't even seem like work anymore when you give it such a nice, cheery name.....I was going to do a post that detailed all the different names for things, but then I didn't. Sorry. I guess y'all will just have to go there if you want to find out what they are. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment