Monday, December 2, 2013

I had an idea...

But now I seem to have lost it. So I guess this will be another boring news post...

My little sister's friend just got a new pair shoes, I still hate Blues. The sky is up, and the ground is down. Unless, of course, you are reading this post whilst laying in a inverted hammock.....please don't ask me what that was supposed to mean...I don't really know.

I got shot in the eye by either my friend or my friend's hairband yesterday, depending on how you look at it. I was sitting calmly in a coffee shop, talking to another friend, when it suddenly gave the surface of my eyeball a rather sharp and painful massage. On second thought, massage is probably not the word I was looking for. Something along the lines of, piercing extraterrestrially-inflicted impalement, would have been better.

Speaking of extraterrestrial. C.S. Lewis is a god. And I just started reading his space trilogy, which involves, of course, extraterrestrial thingies. Anyway. I'm loving him and his writing. I think the mark of a truly good writer is the ability to turn common, uninteresting things into compelling ideas. Lewis is a master at that. One particular instance is in the beginning of the book: its just common dialogue, but Lewis somehow gets you on the edge of your seat by talking about how one of the guys is opening a wine bottle. (or actually, opening it in installments) Its just amazing!

Oh, and I just remembered what I was going to write about. So I shall touch upon it now. Today, for one of my subjects, I was supposed to write a 45min. "essay." I say "essay" because the particular curriculum that I use doesn't seem to think that high school-aged people aren't supposed to be able to analyze texts and make clear arguments. The topic of my "essay" was practically 'put into your own words one of the conversion stories you read last week.' Yeah, great essay topic. And when they do want an actual argumentative paper, most of the time you just have to put in your own words what an author said. And, if it is a big paper, they say, 'write an outline. Be sure to include a,b,c, and d.' My question is, what's the point of writing an outline if you give me one? To sum up: all, or maybe I should say most, of my writing assignments bore me to death.

But I thought of something today. You see, my mom, who grades my stuffs,  didn't read the stories. So I just turned one of the guys that I had read about into a totally different character and wrote a totally made up, but way more interesting conversion story about Tim Staples. It made it so much better. I got three pages of writing in, and it was actually kind of fun and definitely a lot more interesting. I did go 10 min. overtime, but I did do a little bit extra. I mean, they were expecting me to write about a story that I had read and they gave 45 min, so I think its just fine to give an extra 10 or so min. because I not only had to write about it, I had to make it up while doing so. It was kind of bizarre, it involved Ft. Minor, rapping, poetry, and The Bible.

Oh yeah, my sister got home yesterday and her ring is pretty awesome. In fact....wait a min....

 

'Marge and Bobby'


All I can say is that I am going to be hard pressed to up the ante on that one Bobby, but I will. I most definitely will. ;)

Take care!

Thomas, who has decided that he is both happy and excited about the engagement.



No comments:

Post a Comment