Good morning readers! (or evening, or night, depending on when you see this. Today's is a more serious topic, so I am going to attempt to stay seriously serious....yeah, we'll see how that goes.
So. Opinions. I love them. Especially when they differ. But sadly, they don't differ much nowadays. We, the fish, are all supposed to float down the mainstream that society has conveniently created for us. And to swim against it would mean disaster; to have one's own opinion, and not the one prescribed by the men and woman upstairs, is extreme, crazy, and can even be terrorism. Instead, one must know that oneself, power, money, and pleasure are the greatest goods. This 'me first' mentality is the reason we see so many crimes committed against the very nature of humanity, nowadays, be they condoned or condemned by the rest of society.
'Ours is a progressive age! Human rights, freedom, society, and progress are at their respective heights!' So the people in charge claim. But can that really be? Can a society in which the 'elite few' brainwash and manipulate the masses into having whatever opinion they want them to; in which the very spirit and mental attitude of the people is not their own; in which your average Joe is scared to make his own opinions and cannot express them for fear of hurting someone's feelings? I think not.
I don't think I have to go in-depth into what the opinion lie is. Everyone has experienced it, and nearly everyone has been affected by it. How many times have you bent your opinion on a book, or a movie, so as to be more in line with the people you are talking with?..... you don't want to hurt your friend's feelings.....he really likes that movie. I know I have, and I see it happening all the time. But the question is: whether your friend would be more hurt by you having a different opinion or by finding out that you don't feel comfortable telling him or her what you really think?
That was an example of the 'opinion lie' in its smallest scale. (We all know what it is on bigger scales and it is best to not talk about them when uncalled for.) It is the 'elite few's' greatest defense against the truth. They know that opinions, especially differing opinions, unveil the TRUTH. For, when one is faced with an opinion that differs from one's own, one must truly examine one's own and root out all the kinks and gaps. More often than not, when in doing so, one finds un-undoable kinks and unbridgeable gaps in one's opinion. One is therefore moved to a change in opinion, a change that is more reconcilable with the truth, the truth that is implanted in each and every human being.
But if one 'knows' that its rude and un-thoughtful to express a differing opinion, then the truth will be forever trapped in the darkness. The peoples at the top of the people-chain know this. Its the devil's oldest and most fruitful (no pun intended...ok maybe just a little bit) trick: taking an evil, and making it appear as a good. i.e. we are being considerate by not expressing ourselves.
I guess the moral of the story is: you can't trust the system. (there goes my being serious...) No but seriously. Its important to express your opinion in a loving and understating way to all who will listen. So do so.
.....ahhhh this would make a pretty good emergency sermon, huh?
So sorry about the preachy-preachy attitude of this post and all my other ones....they really are at least as much for me as they are for you.
Happy crazy few days before Christmas!!!!!!!
-Thomas
I totally get what you're saying here--I go with the flow way too often, just to avoid conflict and stuff. Quite honestly, I really enjoyed the Hobbit movie, and a lot of people didn't. That's okay and all, we're still friends. It's just opinions. :)
ReplyDeleteXD You liked it? Really? Josie, I'm afraid our friendship has come to an abrupt and bitter end. Jk. And I do it a ton too, so I guess we're even. ;)
Delete